Sunday, December 2, 2007

Virgie Bell's View: An object lesson

De'on brought something to my attention yesterday that I feel needs to be addressed. She asked my why I kept trying to find someone on the Democratic ticket that I liked or approved of. Was I going to vote for one? I can honestly say with the pitiful uninspiring lot that is running it is absolutely out of the question. Here is the situation I find myself in and why I do try to find something to like. Since this is an interesting time for football fans I think I can explain in this way.

Now I am a Dallas Cowboy Fan. No two ways about it. I have always been. I would not have missed a game when Tom Landry was the coach and Roger Staubach was the quarterback. I was over the rainbow for that team and rejoiced when they won a game. As I have said in politics, it’s the small things that impressed me as far as what the list of celebrities do or don't do. I can close my eyes and picture Tom Landry on the sidelines with arms crossed and dignity in place. He wore a suit tailored to perfection and a hat the men of America came to copy. Landry remained poised and coolly collected no matter the score. He was a handsome man that portrayed great dignity. Slim, trim, and in control ... the top gun for my favorite team. Roger Staubach was here in Lovington and was the speaker for Christian Professional Athletes. I was much younger then and at the time was not as jaded as I now seem to be. Mr. Staubach impressed that it was playing by the rules of life on a Christian field that was the real Super Bowl in life. That sometime in an eternity I could look for the Trophy of the greatest and most important goal of my existence. No one can prove that God does not exist nor can they disprove the existence of God. It is therefore up to each individual to see what side they come down on.

I believe with all my heart that the Holy Bible is the Word of God. I have never found any inconsistency or errors in the Bible. I have come to many things that I have not understood, but was later able to grasp and it had a profound effect on me. I am scared to death not to believe. If I reach the end game and there is no trophy, I have not lost a single thing. I took my last breath with a hope. I want to die in my sleep with some thought to the Word of God just before I turn out the light. On the other hand, if I go out as unbeliever and the trophy is there, then the horror of it all does not bear thinking about. But my understanding of God is just that, my understanding. It is right there with the respect I have for my husband, loving and redeeming and very protective. Private and precious. Something to guard with your life. Jerry can't bring home the biggest pay check because of some big business deal he was able to pull off, but I can look forward to getting bills paid and a home that is free of debt, something that it takes all of our spare time to see to the upkeep. I can truly say I have everything I want. It may not be a Super Bowl. Not the finest and costliest, but my team won the game. Satisfied is the greatest emotion that a human being can have.

I did not watch the Cowboys for years and years. There was a time in my life that I had to put aside the energy that goes into a real sports fan. Jerry likes it and always has. My life is like every other person. That is a home school. Looking back, it has always been so. I told De'on that it was the little things with the candidates that stuck with me and what I know to be true. The example I used with her was the Washington figure John Murtha. When he accused my nation’s military of murdering innocent women and children in cold blood, he spit in my face. How dare you? How dare you? Recently the speech has changed. He said that our military was so stressed that they killed innocent women and children. Shut up you sanctimonious old fool. You are a nothing. A scum; blight on humanity. He still has his first wife and donates big bucks to the Opera; he admitted it with his little evil laugh. For the little woman you might say. The Alpha Male Murtha, oh yeah, and he served in the military. So what! Poor woman, thinks I, when I think of your wife, stuck with the likes of you.

Then there is the other Alpha Male. The Rudy Giuliani. Record is three marriages and a trophy wife. I watched this man in action during 9/11. He became America's Mayor. The Worlds Mayor and Times Man of the Year. He won me that day. On 9/11 he put his trophy wife right beside him and went on to complete his job as a great hero of mine. Oh, he is flawed and maybe he is greatly flawed, but he is still my hero. You see, my team has to win the Super Bowl this time. We have to do so or we are really in trouble. We are facing more deadly enemies than any enemy we have ever had in the history of America. I have chosen for my vote to go to the man that I feel will lay down his life for my freedom. Who will die to protect my freedom? My vote is his. The greatest gift I can give to the cause I hold dear to my heart. A man that knows how to lead and knows how to kick butt and love a woman in a May-December love. The man, who much like Tom Landry, stood in cool complete control at all times, no matter the score.

SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

1 comment:

De'on Miller said...

This object lesson is absolutely beautiful, Mom. I love your writings that share your inner self and your faith. Even though you are my mom, I know one of us will leave this earth and I will go or watch you go believing still, that I will never fully know the woman who brought me into this world.

I do yearn to know that.

Thank you. And I love you.

Signed,

Your eldest child that believes it could almost be scriptural if you would make her forever and always your largest heir!! (Just joking in case you got a little teary-eyed there!)

Write on, Mom. And we have all grown fond or at least appreciative of the fact that (scripturally even ;) the last shall be first or in layman's terms: Gary is your (therefore OUR) favorite.