Sunday, February 3, 2008

Virgie Bell's View: Relics and Wraps

Left-Wing Witch - Ms. Susan Sarandon
My Time magazine arrived yesterday and as usual, I’m almost to the point of requesting the thing be delivered in a plain brown wrapper, however, I’m certainly glad I received this issue which contained the wisdom of the ever wise and powerful Ms. Susan Sarandon. I view her insight into world affairs and politics as the most uninformed woman on the planet. Why is it that our typical Hollywood women want to convey just how really out of touch they seem to be? She is the liberals liberal and she is typical of her fellow actresses. Whoops...I mean actors. Somewhere along the way it became politically incorrect to call a female in the business of make-believe an actress. They are actors. Male, young, old, female, staring in a role or bit player. Actors everyone and don't you forget it. The reason behind this escapes me just as it escapes me why I still keep on keeping on with my very liberal magazine.

When I was in high school English class there in Amherst, Texas, I was taught there was a key word which identified the marriage state of a female person. Miss: unmarried. Mrs. was married. I did not know a thing about Ms. and I don't think anyone else did either. I will say this for the lessons we all learn in this education called life. You never can get it right. One little thing I learned is the saying" Ain't, ain't in the dictionary". Well now it is. No matter hard we try to keep up, knowledge can still outrun the best of us. Who decides these things is another little thing I seem to miss (no pun intended).

At any rate, I now hold on my lap one-half of my World Book Dictionary. This is from somewhere in the 60's or so. It has no mention of Ms. ms (no period) means millisecond, whereas MS Ms or ms (no period) means manuscript. My American Century dictionary does contain the title Ms. which has the correct usage as either married or unmarried. So the most I learned from Ms. Sarandon is that she and Tim Robbins are married. This is news to me also. Last I heard, they were afraid that the marriage on paper would ruin the relationship that was written on the wind and destined for greatness. Is this confusing or what?

When I was a child at school in Fieldton, Texas, when I needed to look up a word, I had to go to a bookstand that held the gigantic dictionary. It was too large for a little girl to be able to haul around. Do not throw those old reference books away. You can now carry the corrected dictionary in your backpack right along with your notebook, English book, geography book and an apple for the teacher. one may also substitute the apple for a gun or a switch-blade knife. This dear reader is progress. It absolutely amazes me. I was at one time acknowledged as being far above my grade level in English and Literature. Now I run to and fro, trying to find out if Ms. is a real word or title. I think maybe that old hero, John Kerry, is the one who updates these things. I was for it before I was against it. Close enough I guess. Duh! But the real wonder of the week was not in the Time Magazine. It was Kate Hudson.

I think Kate lives in NM. She is the daughter of Goldie Hawn and came into her own a few years ago. Her new movie with Matthew McConahay is something that she feels (shudder, shudder) will be a part of history for her children to remember (she in a string bikini while Matthew was fully clothed). Dear little Kate was on the cover of some major magazine a few years ago completely nude. I read the article wherein she said they all went around the house naked all the time. They were taught not to be ashamed of their bodies. I used to play rough and tumble with my brothers back when girls wore dresses and my dad would say to me, “Get your dress down Sis, I can see your panties.” The moral of this post is that like my computer, I am a dinosaur and to tell the truth, more than a little ashamed of my body. I I still do not use the word ain't and as far as Ms. Sarandon and Ms. Hudson are concerned they both sound like twiddle-dee and twiddle-dum. Blah.

SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

No comments: