Thursday, February 7, 2008

Virgie Bell's View: Rush and (yawn!) naptime

Seems Rush Limbaugh has a problem with the frontrunner of the Republican Party in that he says the candidate is too liberal. Well, I for one, have never worshiped at the shrine of old Rush. He is a big windbag and always has been. He has been vastly overrated as the voice of the Republican Party. The guys in my family listen to him and seem to feel he is right about everything that comes out of his mouth.

One time Jerry came in a few years ago to tell me that I was misinformed because I wasn't being given access to the right reading material. What? If I read anymore and a wider variety, I would have to be fluent in about a dozen languages. But I can match old Rush any day of the week. All he has are his opinions, which are based upon his personal biases just like me and for that matter just like you.

Sure, the economy is a mess right now. By the time the elected president is sworn into office, it will be but a memory. The Great Depression was a terrible time and even though President Roosevelt did his best, he couldn't pull us out of it. World War 2 pulled us out of it. The USA swung into high gear and we pulled together.

The American people are a special breed. We have always had recessions and we always will but that has always been so. I asked my history teacher when I was in high school what a recession is and he explained thusly: When you stand in a line with a bushel basket full of money that will buy a loaf of bread, but by the time your turn comes, you need two bushels of money in order to buy it. I remember when a Ship and Shore blouse cost $4.99 and now it is a bargain at around twenty bucks. I remember paying 25 cents a pound for hamburger meat and now it will run you close to $4.00 per pound and it is not even the same quality as what I could buy in those good old days. Harry Truman said that if you lose your job, that is a recession, if I lose mine, that is a depression. It is not the cost that is hurting the American public; it is buying into the credit fallacy that is killing us. When our children feel that they have to have everything just as good as mom and dad and right this minute, then we are in trouble.

My mom and dad worked to pay off a little house and usually a mobile home at that. The value was in the little bit of land it was on and if the mobile home depreciated out it still kept out the rain and cold and heat. It made a down payment on the next home and lot and then we added on to this. Our kids have a different mind set. Got to have nice cars, in fact, two, because the wife must work also. My great grandson has actually made fun of Jerry's old work car. He bought it new and that was before we married. Truly it is a rusty thing and I am sure the neighbors would love it to not be in this neighborhood, but we live on a silk stocking row and we have improved the house and yard. Something that is called equity. Will Rogers said, buy land because they are not making anymore of it. He was right as it turns out. Jerry’s little rust bucket will take us from one coast to the other and even though we look like the Beverly Hillbillies, it will still get us from point A to point B and doesn’t use much gas. If I want to impress others, and I do sometimes, I just climb into one of my kids cars and can look down at someone else for a change. It is all just a mindset anyway.

When I lived in Sudan, Texas, we mothers took turns carrying our children to school a week at a time, not for the sake of economy, but just so we could enjoy that extra cup of coffee before we started to sort the laundry and go to the laundry and come home and hang them out. I loved to hang out clothes at that time and resisted a dryer for the longest time, because I knew I would take the easy way out. Sure enough I did that. So I will close for now and go put a load in the washer and dryer before I lay down for a little nap.

Feel free to listen to old Rush all you want...me, I will take the simple life over that windbag’s big bank account, but I still will always miss the smell of the fresh sheets that have been on the line and dried in the fresh air. I can then recall how my mother’s sheets smelled every Monday night when I snuggled up to my little sister and when hamburger meat was 25 cents a pound.

SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

No comments: