added Nov 21, 2005
added Nov 21, 2005
The graveside service was the most beautiful thing. I wish I had pictures or a tape of it. Surely someone does, but I think I quit trying to find out who might. I didn't allow any press to come, but Doug did. Which I was glad he did, so that we'd have something. I just didn't know if they should be, so I told Albuquerque "NO" which I regret. There seemed to be nine million decisions to make, and we had no clue how many people would actually come. The service was at Oasis Southwest Baptist Church in Amarillo. It was Eric's church and it was huge and beautiful. Neither my mom or dad were able to attend. Mom was in the hospital when Aaron was killed and had just had skin grafting performed on her leg. Dad's health was too poor to travel that far, so on May 8th here in Lovington, we had a Memorial Service for him at the gym. Most of Aaron's friends have been long gone from Lovington for a while, Fonzie was in Basic Training, but Jerrod and Tiff were here. Mom and Dad were able to attend that. I have the funeral on tape, but neither of them have expressed the desire to see it. They and my brother handle this all a little different than me, Lisa and Karen.
I know I just keep thanking and thanking everyone. Your support and comments have blessed my family in a rich way. I don't know what to say. You all blow me away with your goodness.
I'll be back later. I think VB has a post in.


2 comments:
I wore my memorial shirt all day. I had so may ask about who the picture was. I got to tell so many about my beloved nephew, another way to honor him. A friend at the bank asked, and after I told her Aaron's story, she said, "Oh, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked." I said of course you should ask, that's why I wore it, and we are so proud of him. If I can talk about him, he is honored and will not be forgotten. Everyone needs to know the stories behind our brave Troops and their sacrifices, especially people who do not have a love one connected to this war. They need to take time to know where their freedom comes from.
All in all, it was a good, beautiful day. I love you, Deely.
I'm so glad your day was good. We have such a support system. Later on I'm going to post some things sent to me for all of us on Aaron's behalf.
I hope your Friday is good too. Everything here has been so good.
I love you too. Tell Gary, him too!
Post a Comment