Saturday, April 21, 2007

Scrapbooking OIF 2: TEXAS

In the right-hand corner it reads: Both Texas & New Mexico claimed Aaron as their own, but it was Texas that Aaron loved. added 11/23/05
added 11/23/05
+ + +
In the top page, we see a couple of shots of the Texas flag signed by members of Sunray State Bank and then sent to Aaron in Iraq. I gave this flag to Eric after Aaron was killed. There is the photo of Allie, Aaron's cousin; Aaron; and Natalie inside Aaron's barracks room. This was taken Nov. 2003 when we were there so that these 3 and Jamie Vance could attend the Marine Ball. Oh, wow! What a night that was! I bet some of you are laughing right now. The cigarette butt I have saved of Aaron's (another thing Lisa found--it was in Aaron's Dress Blues that did not go to Iraq) came from this very night. It might have even been the very cigarette Aaron smoked while that sneaky Allie danced! How dare her go to a Ball and dance?!? :)
Then there's the photo of the 1st grader. What a doll.
+ + +
Ya Ya went to Austin with me for this event. Although we were there less than 24 hours, it was breathtaking. It's the only time I've been to Austin and I was impressed. We used Mitch's (Ya Ya's husband) frequent flier bonus thingys and stayed in a fantastic hotel. Nope, can't remember the name, but we had separate rooms. It's the first time in my life that I know of when a smoker was given a better room than the one who does not smoke and spends small estates on massages at the hotel! But lo and behold! My room was incredible--with a view to kill for. And on that ghastly note, I could see the tower from which the whacked-out shooter there acted out yet another tragic event years back.... But back to the good stuff. The window in my bathroom covered the width of the wall (yes, it had blinds for times of toiletry) and I was about 14 stories up. That's probably a lie. It could have been 7 or 21. We'll choose a number representative of seven, regardless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love reading all of these!

De'on Miller said...

You're a bit prejudice...and me too! I'm glad you do, Diane. Really.