Color me ignorant but I don't see this big mandate for the democrats and what the American people want. Color me a darker stupid if I disagree that there is no way we can win the war in Iraq. Let’s be clear on just one thing. The United States of America stands ready to defeat any foe in the world who declares war against it, and it is certain that foe will lose. It is not that we can't win; it is that we have a bunch in the nation’s capital that want to play out a farce that they support the troops, yet will not fund the troops. In other words, will not let them win.
Now I am new to the cheering section of the Republican Party. I was raised as a democrat by the blue dogs of that party. I understood the reason behind it too. They were involved in the fighting on the home front during World War 2. I was a child during that time. I lived in one of the big shipping centers for soldiers to ship out and in. I grew up to hero worship these defenders of my county. I also lived within one of the camps that were part of the Manhattan Project. I was really too young to understand why I believed in our side. I would have had a hard time telling you why I believed in God. My parents were not perfect but I can tell you that they did not encourage their children to be immoral nor to condone anything that they felt was immoral.
My dad knew of the deterrent system before it had a name. If one of us kids told on the other one, they both were punished. The tattle tale caught it too. He also instructed us that if we were asked in school to tell on someone else that our Daddy said we couldn’t tell. The grown ups in my world when I was young did not have much time to Molly cuddle their young. They were too busy helping with a war effort wherein our very survival was at stake. They intended to survive no matter the cost. They intended to pass the freedom on to us, and they did. The only thing was that it was more of a code back then. Had to do with patriotic fervor. Not with a party.
The attack on 9/11 would have put them behind the troops no matter what the cost to us. I suppose that in a grown up world where one was surrounded by GI Joe and Rosie the Riveter, party lines weren’t quite as clear, quite as ugly. My Dad would have cursed and walked out of a room when he learned about partial birth abortion. My mother would have cried her eyes out. That was the code within our family. Support the US military and protect the most helpless among us. Pretty standard stuff. Easy to follow. Anger Management was established among us kids instantaneously. With just these two acts the Democratic Party would have lost my parents. That would have broken the code in which we were brought up in. It would have been like one telling on the other one. The strange thing that ran through this was that we knew if the other one did something wrong, really wrong, we were to involve them immediately. In other words, we were taught that the grownups were in charge in our world. If things got off kilter, they would straighten it out. Our parents were our government.
I have noticed that much is made on blogs as to what is ones favorite song, or book, or movie. That establishes a culture more than anything else. My favorite movie of all time is "So Proudly We Hail". A very minor movie. Claudette Colbert and Veronica Lake starred in it. Glamour girls, star quality. This movie took place mostly on a ship that carried women troops to the Pacific Theater. Of course they saw action on board. After they had reached their destination and all looked to be lost, when suddenly Veronica Lake tucks a grenade into her bosom and raises her hand. Well, she reaches up and takes off her helmet and shakes out this marvelous blonde hair that hung in a wave over one eye, and then pulls the pin on the grenade. I know. Corny. But that has been more than sixty years ago and nothing has taken its place. What I grew up with has tended to stay with me. Veronica Lake won my heart with her act of bravery; to show the greatest love in the world in laying down her life for her friends ... you see it is not a party thing to me anymore. It is a code. One that I was brought up on. One that I believe in and if the only candidate who supported the troops and was against partial birth abortion was Joe Lieberman, I would vote for him. He is a member of the Democratic Party, and he is Jewish.
As I said, a code. My code. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!
Thursday, May 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
It is not that we can't win; it is that we have a bunch in the nation’s capital that want to play out a farce that they support the troops, yet will not fund the troops. In other words, will not let them win.
That's exactly it! Doesn't it just make you sick to your stomach? Just think how better this would be if every American citizen, politician, and those Hollywood big mouths supported our troops. I mean SUPPORTED our troops by sending them care packages, things to cool them off and warm them up, every tool they needed to win and letters of encouragement that never ended. I would bet my life that the situation would be 100% better and on track! But when they have to deal with all the crap everyone is dishing out, the Hollywood big mouths dumping on their mission and so on......You know that drags them down! It's a DAMN shame! I for one am so very PROUD of our Military and our President! I know our Military has changed so many Iraqi's lives for the better! I know I am safe because of the women and men who serve/ served our great Nation. I know I am a better person than most because of this fact: I get the fact that we are free because of the men and women past and present of our Military. I get the fact so many of our Military laid down their life for ME! I get the fact they are fighting terrorist over there so they don't come here! Because I get that, that makes me a better peron and VERY PROUD! OK, off the ol' soap box again.
Post a Comment