Saturday, April 21, 2007

Scrapbooking OIF 2: Educational Milestones ... oh dear...

Of all the years I loved
Aaron, I never loved him more
than in his senior year. added 11/30/05

+ + +

"Momma,

if a boy

was too

sick to go

to

graduation

would he

still get to

go to 1st

grade...?"



added 11/30/05
+ + +
When Aaron was young, he loved cars,
men and dinosaurs. By third grade, he could
spell all the names of the dinosaurs--though
he completely spaced that ability before too long!
He was also terrified of dogs. :)

added 11/30/05

+ + +

Can you tell which one is him in the pre-school (bottom) page?

Aaron lived with Doug during this time. I then joined the Army. Aaron and his dad lived with Doug's parents in California for quite a while.

By Kindergarten graduation, Doug and Aaron lived in Memphis, TX. I took leave to come home and see him graduate, after which, he would come home with me to Granny's (VB). What a nightmare. He started from the moment I arrived and wouldn't quit over not wanting to attend his graduation! It was every bit over the fact that he did NOT want to wear a tie. As you can see, if you look real close, at one point his dad is resembling Alec Baldwin a little bit! :) They're in the bathroom here, so this is clear into the next day. The "question" written in orange up above is the question he asked me in bed. I said, "Oh, Aaron, please don't do this to me! I've traveled all this way...." "Your dad is going to explode if you don't hush!" On and onnnn. Then the next morning, he didn't want me to wear my Class A's. He said he wanted me to "look like all the other mothers..." which at that time, I think Aaron did resent my being in the military. I think he must have believed in some way that the military is what separated us, though he knew better... just not exactly why. This was a hard time on me and Aaron. The time he spent away from me will always be sad for me, though I see now how that it was so very, very important for Aaron and the Austin side of Aaron's family. Had it not been for this time that Doug and Aaron had together, this time during Aaron's very formative years, I'm not at all sure that Aaron and his dad would have had a relationship later. Aaron's dad is very hard headed... but not me!

The high school picture is of Aaron and Jerrod with a few "extras" around! Aaron put me through the wringer as far as school went, but it is still the time I miss so much. So you see, I realize that even if Aaron was physically here, the Aaron who was around and sucked the life out of my every living moment, was when he was so young--and Aaron was always a little bit of a handful for me. His dad was much stricter and deserves a great deal of the credit for the kind of kid Aaron turned out to be. THEN AGE 14 HIT! oooh.


P.S. I wore a regular dress to Kindergarten graduation. By high school graduation, he would have loved for me to look TOTALLY different than anyone there. But I was just happy to see him on that stage and did my best to stay incognito throughout the ceremony.

I knew how MeMa felt when she said once, "When people tell me they know you Virgie Bell, I don't know whether to hide my face or take a bow!"

Exactly.

4 comments:

Semper Fi Mom said...

My Marines' senior years were my favorite too. They both got out of school early when they were seniors and would come home for lunch nearly every day. It gave me the chance to spend time with each of them one on one and I treasure it. They are nearly adults and so much fun to talk to and hang out with at that age. It did sort of make me feel like it wasn't quite fair though that I was finally seeing the fruits of our labors in raising them and then they had to leave home.

De'on Miller said...

Oh, I know! Aaron left the very night he graduated! But they are so fun, males anyway. I wonder if females are? But that Senior year will always be the year I loved the most.

The boy turning into a man, but yet, enough boy without the world on his shoulders as "the Man"--there's no better time.

It all goes so fast, doesn't it?

Semper Fi Mom said...

I'll let you know with the girls. ;) I do look forward to prom dresses and homecoming mums.

De'on Miller said...

oooh, yes. and how Dad handles it too. :)