Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Told you I'd get back to you with this ...

Makes a Mother Proud....
Aaron as a freshman

+ + +

Aaron shaved the middle of his eyebrows out without me knowing it; I can’t tell you what it felt like to have your child anxiously wake up for school that has never wanted to go to school before. Not a tie this day, no, a little tapering with the razor!

Try to put the toothpaste back in the tube is a cliché that comes close to the thoughts and feelings I had that morning. His first school picture taken after leaving Dad and moving into Mom’s! How proud the Austin’s would be! How proud we all were!

I have so many of these left over.

In all fairness, I should mention that Aaron’s mom, and actually much of his family is nothing more than old hippies who grew up somewhat. We’re all pretty conservative, but we grew up in the seventies. We love good music (particularly Blues) and long hair or earrings never bothered us. I wore my hair parted down the middle and straight down my back and to my waist for ten years.

The reason Aaron left Doug’s was because of Wranglers and work-outs. Doug really would make a great drill, and he wouldn’t bend. I often told him to “pick his battles” but every battle was his battle! LOL!

Roy, Lisa’s husband said, “It’ll be interesting to watch De’on raise a teenager….” and he laughed.

On the way home from getting Aaron’s things from Doug’s, Aaron asked me, “Mom, can we go by Wal-Mart and get my ear pierced?”

I thought about it for a little while and said, “Sure, Aaron. You know what, I missed you learning to tie your shoes and ride a bike. I’d kind of like to be there to watch you get your ear pierced.”

Now don’t everybody fall out. It didn’t take long for the Marine’s blood to filter through after they got him. He totally quit wearing earrings and the baggy pants and long shirt disappeared. Now do I know how to pick my battles or what?

And my mom said my parenting skills bordered on contributing to the delinquency of a minor! Pulleeezz.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I love your stories!! I will be here for you tomorrow sweet LIL Lady!

De'on Miller said...

You have been for a long time now Diane. Got cake?