Saturday, May 12, 2007

One of the articles ... I know there will be many

As the mother of the one Marine that was killed that day, he was the only one that day, but as the mother of that Marine, I want to point out that "the best day of his life" has to do with this:

He watched the men he had trained and commanded fight as a unit, as brothers, as Marines. When they were ambushed they were not only
up to task, they were true
DEVIL DOGS!
and they ARE
Semper Fi!
+ + +


Subject of Times profile dies in Iraq
Marine Maj. Douglas Zembiec said he 'never felt so alive' as in battle.
By Tony Perry , Times Staff Writer, Times Staff Writer
9:36 PM PDT, May 11, 2007



— Maj. Douglas Zembiec, a Marine Corps officer profiled in the Los Angeles Times magazine in 2004, has been killed while leading a raid on insurgents in Baghdad, officials reported Friday.

Details of his death on Thursday were sketchy.

In an age when many prefer military personnel to be diffident and reluctant to engage in violence, Zembiec was proudly a throwback.

"One of the most noble things you can do is kill the enemy," he once said.

Zembiec, 34, received a Bronze Star with a V for valor for leading an infantry company in repeated assaults against insurgents in the Sunni Triangle city of Fallouja in 2004.

Bloodied by shrapnel, Zembiec led his troops in combat so close that the two sides were hurling grenades from 20 feet apart. He later was part of low-profile missions in Afghanistan to thwart the resurging Taliban.

Zembiec seemed to revel in the experience of combat. In the magazine article, he was quoted as calling a firefight in Fallouja "the greatest day of my life."

"I never felt so alive, so exhilarated, so purposeful," he said the day after a battle in which two of his troops were killed and 18 wounded. "There is nothing equal to combat and there is no greater honor than to lead men into combat."

Zembiec was widely admired among Marines.

"We can dispute the politics of any war — Iraq, Afghanistan or any others," said Bing West, author of two books about combat Marines in Iraq, "but we cannot dispute our need for warriors. Doug was our guardian."

Sgt. Maj. William Skiles, who fought beside Zembiec at Fallouja, said he inspired great loyalty among his troops. "An entire company of Marines would trade places with him right now," Skiles said from Camp Pendleton. "They would put down their lives for him."

Zembiec was a star wrestler at the U.S. Naval Academy, where he graduated in 1995. Classmates still tell "Zembiec stories" about his pranks as a plebe and his determination in the wrestling ring.

While attending the academy, he decided the Marine Corps offered more challenge than the Navy. "I wanted to be a defender, defending my country," he said.

After Fallouja, Zembiec was promoted to major and given a desk job at the Pentagon. Restive, he volunteered to fight in Afghanistan. More recently, he returned to Iraq.

He is survived by his wife, Pam Zembiec, and their 1-year-old daughter, Fallon.

copied from latimes.com

2 comments:

Semper Fi Mom said...

I am so sorry to hear about this! My heart is heavy for the loss of a true American Hero. May God be with Major Zembiec's family and keep them in His tender care.

De'on Miller said...

Thank you, Semper Fi Mom. As the mother of two Marines, I know you know what a horrible loss it is for our leadership.

Everytime I type RIP, I always think how far that sounds from Aaron. I feel the same way about the Major. I can't imagine "rest" for them!! Perhaps they're training to lead the Big One! True warriors will never be needed more, and if God trains us down here for that which will end, think how much He trains us for that which will last forever!

I met the Major through his letter to me of Aaron's death, of course, but also at the Ball, where tears came in his eyes; I emailed with Major Zembiec a couple of times for the OPS Homecoming, as he had to sign a release for the anthology anthology, but when I understood best who he was--that was in May after the parade when we were all invited to the
Commandants Buffet after the parade. First Sergeant Ploskonka let me know that the Major was there and that he wanted to meet with me for a bit. When we met, we discussed my hero son and the fact that he "might" want to name his child "Austin" and he told me "he was going to have three children!" He told me how many boys and how many girls and possible names!! LOL!! That's when I understood that Leadership might be enhanced here on this earth, but it is planted in the soul of those who TRULY lead from the beginning. He was just as serious as he could be, and it made me smile some.

I din't hear from him again after that night. As far as I knew, he was going to Afghanistan in an "advisory" role, and I really figured he was probably back in DC by now. But no, not the Major.

Yesterday when one of his troops wife told me his daughter's name, I had to smile. And when I read her name, the FALL part of it sticks out even more than the Freedom. It's the part of FALLujah that has always 'stuck' out to me. I want it to fall. Inside out. A rebirth, something.

But here--it is Baghdad--it is war--it is the Middle East and I'm ready for those up there in Congress to understand; nothing less than complete victory is acceptable. Something in me has changed recently. I'm tired of the yah, yah, yah and trying to keep from offending anyone.

It is a serious time in our history and we had all better get that way.

And God bless and keep that precious daughter: Fallyn Justice Zembiec.